Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hot Air Balloons


So, what do you do if you're in Napa Valley, California and you're not 21? Well, my parents and I figured it out when I was about 12 years old. You might think there isn't much to do besides drink wines and visit vineyards, but that is surprisingly false. There are lots of trails and hikes to be explored, horseback riding, and hot air ballooning, to name a few. Now that I am older, and have visited my fair share of vineyards (abroad) I look back and appreciate the experience of seeing them from above. The concept of raising a basket full of people by a big balloon and flame, baffles most. But the truly amazing part was the phenomenal views of the Valley. And I will never forget, the pilot let 12-year-old-me attempt to steer. I got to fuss around with the flame, to make the balloon go higher, under careful watch, of course. The baskets are pretty cramped, but I guess you have to consider the ballooners are striving for a maximum profit, and stuff about 10 people in a space that seems like it's made for 6. But after riding in one for an hour, I have a lot more respect for the guy who went around the world in one!

1 comment:

  1. haha I really like your profile picture on this thing. makes me miss japan...oh how I long to go back.

    ReplyDelete