Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Trains

I must admit that I haven't had the most experience with trains. I only really ride them when I'm abroad, seeing as we don't have any in Hawaii. But I would definitely choose a train over a plane if I could. Riding a train doesn't require the ordeal air travel does. And you can gaze out the window at the landscape between point A and B. I have always been fascinated by the Japanese, and their train system. Their culture requires punctuality, and the trains are no exception. If a train schedule says that the train will arrive at 11:23, and leave at 11:28, you had better make that 5 minute window, because it won't be there at 11:22 or 11:29. And if you are ever able to avoid rush hour on the trains in Japan, definitely try to take another mode of transport, or you could be squeezed into that tin can with the rest of the sardines in suits. The attendants even help push you in there. Don't believe me?... Yeah, that was real life, I wish I was clever enough to make that stuff up. One the bright side, no one has to wait for the next train to come. The bullet train, or shinkansen is my favorite. The Japanese have created a completely different breed of land travel, cutting travel time in half with the shinkansen. (And don't worry, these trains have assigned seating for individuals, so you don't have to worry about popping your personal bubble. So if you are ever making your journey across Japan and feel that your time abroad is too short, which it always is, take the shinkansen. It will cost you a little more, but I think your time in worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment