Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Shopping for Luggage?


If you're on the market for luggage a few of my favorites that I think you should consider are Tumi, Hartmann, and Swiss Army. Tumis have a great reputation in the travel industry. I believe their main demographic is businessmen, which makes sense because so many of their pieces are practical, understated, and black. Their luggage is very well made, and durable. This particular suitcase runs about $850 (26"). I have a tumi that might as well have gone through battle, but looks gently used. I once had a wheel break of of my Tumi, and I did a temporary fix while traveling, with duck tape, but brought it into the store as soon as I got back. They were happy to fix it, and apologized profusely for the inconvenience, and gave me a loaner of the same model, which I was free to travel with in the mean time. They have recently come out with lots of colorful luggage, which I love. Each of these is $495 (carry-on size), which is pricey, but they really are great bags.


The bright green is on my wish-list for Christmas. It's always easier to spot a strange colored bag, than a black one. I also found some great Tumis with crazy colors!

They have also come out with a light line of luggage, which is so great because you don't want to waste weight on your bag. (And all of these colorful carry-on bags are made light.) And they are meant to be 25-35% lighter than the average suitcase. I don't know as much about Hartman, but my dad has a couple, and he likes them because they are much lighter than the conventional tumi suitcase.


Their focus is also geared toward businessmen, but I think they are great for anyone who is a committed traveler. This color scheme is their signature, and this is their 20" and runs about $475, but I recently noticed it on sale for $356.25. And finally, I have always like Swiss Army suitcases.


This is their new look for big luggage (26"), and this one is $480 on their website. I have a bright red one from their old line, which I bought about 5 years ago. This is the one I usually use when I travel. It is durable, and the red helps it stand out, however I think a lot of people had that idea, so there are a surprising number of red suitcases encircling baggage claim carousels now days. These are the most modestly priced out of the bunch, but you would hardly be able to tell if you couldn't tell the brands apart. So if you're on the market for a Father's day gift, like most of us are, luggage is a great gift for a traveling dad.

1 comment:

  1. I like the pink and orange tumi it's on my wish list but I think i'd be devastated if it got dirty.

    ReplyDelete