Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Elephant Rides for All

I have always wanted to ride an elephant, and I decided Africa was the perfect place. While we were in Livingston, the city on the Zambian side of Victoria Falls, we heard there were elephant rides, so we decided to go for it. We each got matched to an ele, and hopped on. My dad and I were able to climb up some stairs to get on ours, but the one my mom was riding was too fat to fit in the contraption so she had to climb up its side.
We each had a guide on our elephants with us. They weren't very talkative, but they did have treats for the eles.
The elephants were all extremely photo friendly. Each of them knew a bunch of tricks, so when it was time for a photo the guide would yell, "SALUTE!" and they would put their trunks on their heads.
The baby elephant followed us all the way along our walk. He trekked through the river with us, even when it got deep. It was a pretty cool idea that we were on elephants just strolling through the Zambezi River, just before the falls...
This one was a really little baby. He was abandoned by his mother in the wild, but was taken care of at this elephant camp. He was very playful, which was a bit of a problem, because his way of playing was head butting. And let me tell you, it's pretty sore when a 200 pound animal rams into your knees.
After riding around for about an hour, we got a chance to hang out with our elephants. They gave us a bag of food, and we got to feed and play with them. The whole experience is one that I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. The baby elephant is cute! This must be an adventure, I didn't realise that you have to climb such a cosntruction to seat on the elephant, I thought you can do that somehow when they are lying

    ReplyDelete