Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hayman

Not to be confused with the Cayman Islands, Hayman Island is part of the Whitsunday Island chain off the cost of Australia, near the Great Barrier Reef. If you are interested in staying on the mainland, Cairns (pronounced cans) is the place to stay. However, I think the Whitsundays are unbeatable. The water out there is crystal clear, you can dive right off the shore, and you don't need to worry about 12 foot long crocodiles!
For the second half of my spring break from Melbourne University (in October), I headed up to the Whitsundays, and to an island called Hayman. The entire island was dedicated to the resort and its staff. It was gorgeous. The rooms were luxurious and the staff was extremely friendly.
Hayman is one of those resorts where you can just relax, and do nothing but enjoy your surroundings. OR you can fill every daylight hour exploring and active. We opted for the latter. My family and I would wake up with the sun and go on a sea plane to the outer reef, a boat to snorkel off of, or catamaran-ing! I also got to try scuba diving for the first time. I would have to say that if you are going to visit the Great Barrier Reef, the islands off the coast of mainland Australia is the way to go!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the place looks great! I have never heard about those islands before

    ReplyDelete